It's more like Sin-namon

2:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments


I have a confession and it's sinful.

Okay...well it's cinnamon and that's close to sinful right? Right. Just nod your head with me here and we'll continue.

I love pumpkin but it's become so overused. As much as I love Trader Joe's, their copious amounts of pumpkin flavored items are actually a turn off.As I waled through TJ's aisles recently, looking for wine and cheese and other delectable goodies, I thought to myself "Isn't it time for something new? Something that screams flannel tops and shearling lined boots and cuddling under a blanket watching the Santa Clause?" Yes folks, it IS time and I am making a stand. While I am not abandoning pumpkin flavored things, I am expanding into a whole new world. Much like Jasmine had to learn to fly on the magic carpet with Aladdin, we must venture into the world of cinnamon.

A tablespoon of cinnamon only has 19 calories yet somehow brings a wealth of joy to our taste buds. As I have the biggest sweet tooth ever and I am always looking for a healthier alternative to chocolate, cinnamon has seduced me. JoeyWaffles started me on this torrid love affair by having me try a Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latté. Trust me when I say, order one with soy AND whip cream for my favorite combination of sweet with a warm burst of spicy and sweet flavor. I like the soy because it adds a vanilla flavor but it tastes (almost as) delicious without.

Since discovering the sinful and indulgent taste of cinnamon, I have started adding it to my life daily. Whether it's a snack, dinner, or dessert, there isn't a meal that cinnamon isn't welcome. Here are some ways I've used it lately:
  • Cinnamon hot chocolate.
  • Apple cinnamon chicken
  • Apple cinnamon goat cheese from Trader Joe's.
  • Banana bread with chocolate chips and a heaping ton of cinnamon
  • Vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon. Try it alone or with Cooper's Hawk chocolate cake, a dessert that is completely decadent, sinful, and worth the gym session.
  • Banana sprinkled with cinnamon for a snack (you can add honey as well)
  • A few drops of Young Living Cinnamon Bark oil in the diffuser for a great smelling house (curious about oils or want to sign up? click here for more info)
I actually made an amazing twice baked sweet potato the other night and cinnamon played a big part. I baked the sweet potato in foil at 450 degrees for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Then I took them out, cooled them off for a few minutes and scooped out the insides. Put them in a bowl and added the last of the Trader Joe's apple cinnamon goat cheese, apple butter, and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Mixed it all up and put back in the potatoes. Baked for another 15 minutes and voila, perfection! Add in my fake fireplace, a glass on Three Thieves wine from Caroline and it was a perfectly cozy night.
Do you love or hate cinnamon? What are your favorite ways to use it?

0 comments: