You can't turn a home into a housewife...wait, what?

7:52 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Okay so you might not be able to turn a home into a housewife but you can make a house into a home and the process is more fun then the end results.

A little back story about myself. Growing up in Highland Park, I had no clue how to pick a Chicago neighborhood when it came time to move out. I wasn't sure what would be affordable and fun but also fit my laid back style. Honestly, the only reason I lucked out with my great apartment in West Rogers Park was because my Dad owned the building. A 3rd floor walk up in a 1920's building, arched doorways and built in book shelves, I fell in love.

Sure, I was in walking distance of the best Indian restaurants but parking was terrible. Whether it was sitting in JoeyWaffles car on a sunny afternoon in the summer, watching the local drug dealer in a wheel chair sell his weed who we couldn't believe we were a)seeing this and b)wow he's tough, the chair doesn't even have handles or having to fight with a local curmudgeon about walking his dog on a leash, there was never a dull moment. So when I made the big move to live with JoeyWaffles in Evanston, I said good-bye to sketchy side streets and hello to North Shore yuppies. 

Don't get me wrong, Evanston isn't exactly traditional North Shore but it's apparently where the cools kids who want a mix of urban restaurants with suburban parking are flocking to, That's as best as I can reckon anyways. Plus with Northwestern, tons of places are open late and these kids aren't troublemakers because they're too busy studying or watching their football team. While it's kind of cool to be living in a city getting a huge amount of buzz, owning a house just means higher property taxes, very NOT fun.

The funnest part of being a first time home dweller (Joey's the owner) is the decorating. One of the most recent projects we undertook was changing the front bonus room area from a sort of man cave/junk room to a man cave/home office. All I wanted was a corner to have a little office area and with some O.P.I. paint from Clark+Kensington, an IKEA desk and some garage sale finds, I have a wonderful office space. You can see the before and after below. 


So far besides the office, we have: painted the front hallway from a bright red to a yellow and grey and added some molding; bought the  Series 6 LoveSac sofas which the pets can't get enough of; bought, sanded, and stained the IKEA Stenstorp kitchen island; renovated our heated back porch to become a laundry room and bought a new LG steam washer/dryer set; painted our pantry, and are in the process of renovating our bathroom and turning the second bedroom into a video game display room. 

I love being able to do whatever we want in our home and making it our own. With a lot of my friends settling down, buying their own places, or looking for different places to rent, it would have been great for them to have what New York has, Compass. I love that their site makes is so user friendly and idiot proof. You can click sales, rental, or agent, pretty self explanatory. 

You can also favorite places, request a status, make an appointment, and such. My favorite feature is by far the Neighborhood Guide which lets' you assess each neighborhood and see where you fit in socially. places to go, and pictures. I would love to see them do a Chicago site and see where my friends fit in. I also think that really getting to explore more areas, getting out of a comfort zone and seeing what your city has to offer is a great thing. 

I'm looking forward to getting our bathroom done over Thanksgiving and posting pictures. What current home renovations/DIY projects are you doing? What have you done to make your home your own?

0 comments: