When did we become parents?

2:46 PM Unknown 1 Comments

So I know fourteen people that are currently pregnant. Yup, fourteen. Eight are from my high school graduating class. This doesn't include one of my best friends Sarah who just had a beautiful baby girl Haley. With all this talk of baby talk, Joey and I have been even more firm with our no baby lifestyle. The best laid plans right?

Joey Waffles and I will feel like parents for the next month but I am definitely NOT pregnant, just wanted to give you all a  little panic ;)

Here's the story. JoeyWaffles has an older (by one year) brother who is as different as him from night and day. He is an aspiring musician who works in IT (when he's working) and has never really held a steady job. He got himself into some financial trouble and in order to help him avoid another huge mistake, we offered to let him stay for the month. Trust me it will only be the end of the month and then he's out. He is looking for places and going on job interviews.

JoeyWaffles and I have to make sure he has a curfew since we didn't give him a key to the house. We have to make sure he's applying to jobs and that he's being reasonable about them i.e. not ignoring a job because it's in a close suburbs, not downtown or he thinks less than $20 is too low. We live in small two bedroom and the spare bedroom is filled with video games, so he is sleeping on the sofa in our dining room. Yeah, we have a love seat in the dining room that Winston the cat sleeps on. We also only have one bathroom.

So no privacy, no alone time. Having to make sure he makes it home on time. No sleeping in on Saturdays. It's like raising a child. We have to make sure his homework i.e. apt/job hunting is done. This just drives home the fact we don't want kids and think we must have jinxed ourselves being so happy we're childless while everyone is living it up in babyville.

I know that if you want a be a parent, everything your baby does is a miracle and amazing and it's the best experiences. Rick and Sara are going through it right now and it's awesome to watch. They are falling in love with their baby and it's amazing. Just not for me. Ever.

I don't want my weekends interrupted or to have to sneak sex around a baby sleeping or out or who knows where babies go. I want to be able to drop everything and do whatever I want. I want lazy Sundays and extra income and peace and quiet. This doesn't by any means think I think it's the better lifestyle, I just think it's better for me. After living alone, even cohabiting with JoeyWaffles, I still love my alone alone time, even from him. So having a third person living with us is like having a child and extremely not fun. I want to be able to watch my trashy tv in my underwear or walk around naked or dance and sing while I cook without an audience.

Having no alone time all last week with JoeyWaffles meant Sunday I wanted to just hang out and have fun. So we drove to Elgin and had Sushi Station, went thrifting, had smoothies, I got supper pissed at the guy in the Old Navy dressing room for not wanting me to try on jeans when it was 1 minute passed 6 o'clock (might have thrown the jeans down...) and then we did some meal prep. Sometimes I get bored with the same thing so we tried something new this week. I'll be posting my Presto! Paleo Pesto Chicken Stuffed with Garlic Spinach and Bacon in a new section called Hot Mess-cipes. Look for it later today!

So since I have to see everyone's numerous baby photos which are sickeningly cute, here's my version of a overly cute photo.

You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. We are definitely going to need a date after tax season. Gio's Dad is moving in with us temporarily. We will definitely have stories to share!! I love your honesty about children.

    ReplyDelete